Wednesday, January 06, 2016

Why David H. Lewis? The True Story Behind My Name Change

UPDATE 1.6.22  I am riposting this because of a wonderful  new comment left

The following is from the opening of one of two chapters I dropped before my book Big Top Typewriter went to press.  I came to believe that the subject of skating wandered too far off course.

17

Enter David Lewis

           
How ironic that the very first publication to accept my circus writing — The White Tops — would be the last to reject it.
            Believing the 1980s to have been an outstanding decade in big top history, I wrote an essay about its memorable attributes, “Circus in America: The New Golden Age,” and sent copies out to national magazines.  None jumped, and so I jumped back to my alma matter, sending the piece to The White Tops’ editor. He telephoned me about it, believing he might need to cut it by a third, were he to go with it, and how would I feel about that?   I replied that I was open to the idea.  
            A few weeks later, the story was returned without a cover letter.  How naked it looked inside a lonely envelope.  As cold as the editor’s cavalier rejection felt, it also felt liberating.  Suddenly I felt the freedom necessary to treat other subjects as fully as I had treated the circus.   Maybe in this way, I might now be able to achieve some success in other fields.  So I made a promise to myself, and wrote it down, that not until I realized success in writing on other subjects would I ever again write about the circus.
            So, what next? 
            Roller skating.  Why not?  If you have a problem with that, please lighten up for a few pages, for that’s where we’re going next.   Organ music, Maestro, if you please!
            I had enjoyed test and competitive roller dance from my boyhood up.  For a few years, I had taught dance and figure skating. In fact, when I received the first invitation from Able Green at Variety to write a piece for the next anniversary issue, I took his letter to Roll-O-Torium, the skating rink in San Pablo where I was then employed.  I had to show it to my boss, rink operator Betty Bendit.  She was working behind the refreshment counter when I met up with her.  She read the letter with delight, happy for my good news.  And then I skated back to the record-player booth, to announce — Couples Only!
      

How to Avoid Getting Stereotyped

To continue quoting from the deleted chapter: 

    
            Here is where my story took a sharp turn. After suffering numerous rejections of my roller skating manuscript by a multitude of book publishers, I began to wonder if they  were stereotyping me.  David Lewis Hammarstrom.  Isn't that the guy who writes circus books? Covers the subject for  Variety.                                       
             Desperation by default:  I needed a new identity, a new name, maybe shorter, yes shorter, that would make it not so easy for acquiring editors in a hasty rush to turn me down before even giving my sample chapters a decent peek.  Where have I seen that name before?  Oh yes, he writes circus books?  Oh yes, dear stereotyping editor, it’s me, and does that mean that I can’t write anything else?   
            I decided to scale back and go with my first two names.  But when discovering how many “David Lewis” authors there were out there, I added H for a middle initial.  That narrowed my name competition down to one doctor.  
            Under my  new name, I sent Roller Skating for Gold out to a small house in New Jersey, Scarecrow, that I had somehow overlooked or maybe deemed unsuitable.
            Never trust an assumption.
            From the very first publisher to receive samples chapters of Roller Skating for Gold by David H. Lewis — Drum rolls and trumpets!  — came …
            A phone call of interest ... A few months later, a contract!

I could thank veteran Macmillan sports editor David Biesel for that.  A true gentleman, and one of the best editors I would ever work with.  Dave was then turning out a series, American Sports History, for Scarecrow.   Did somebody say that timing is everything.  Or that most things happen by  accident?  I call it fate.

***********************

By the way, I still regard the 1980s as the last great decade in American circus. 
 
First published, circa 2016 (I think)

6 comments:

Alex Smith said...

The 1980s one of the best decades of Circus?! Wow, that's refreshing. Still having not gotten over the closing of Ringling Bros. to think that I saw that in the SF Bay Area doesn't make me feel quite like I was born a few decades too late anymore. Just finished Big Top Typewriter and loved it. As a Richmond , California native had no idea Ringling had actually played there. You filled in the blanks of bay area circus activity in the 50's, 60's and 70's. I saw Circus Vargas at the El Cerrito Plaza at age 5 in 1978. I will never forget it! Also, Ringling Bros. and of course the Pickles. Hung around and worked with the Bentley's from age 12 on, and was privileged enough at 13 to befriend the late Don Marcks and see every show that passed through---The Moscow Circus, Cirque, a stellar Circus Gatti for the Knights of Columbus at what they now call the Bill Graham arena, even caught John Winn's Europarama Circus in Napa. And I thought I was the only one that savored a trip to NYC to see Broadway shows but not without first a stop at Cunningham Park to catch the Big Apple Circus. And wouldn't you know it, when I came to LA to be an actor John Hugh of the Ann Waugh Agency was the first agent to sign me and send me out on auditions getting me a job juggling fire on a show, and boy do I remember Sid Kellner's sons with their %$#@*( phone rooms putting the spotlight and causing serious damage to legit phone and circus operation like my beloved Bentley Bros. Circus and their Richmond, California operations under the sponsorship of the Firefighters. A wealth of knowledge in this book! Gave you a plug on Amazon Nice Work David.

Alex Smith said...

The 1980s one of the best decades of Circus?! Wow, that's refreshing. Still having not gotten over the closing of Ringling Bros. to think that I saw that in the SF Bay Area doesn't make me feel quite like I was born a few decades too late anymore. Just finished Big Top Typewriter and loved it. As a Richmond , California native had no idea Ringling had actually played there. You filled in the blanks of bay area circus activity in the 50's, 60's and 70's. I saw Circus Vargas at the El Cerrito Plaza at age 5 in 1978. I will never forget it! Also, Ringling Bros. and of course the Pickles. Hung around and worked with the Bentley's from age 12 on, and was privileged enough at 13 to befriend the late Don Marcks and see every show that passed through---The Moscow Circus, Cirque, a stellar Circus Gatti for the Knights of Columbus at what they now call the Bill Graham arena, even caught John Winn's Europarama Circus in Napa. And I thought I was the only one that savored a trip to NYC to see Broadway shows but not without first a stop at Cunningham Park to catch the Big Apple Circus. And wouldn't you know it, when I came to LA to be an actor John Hugh of the Ann Waugh Agency was the first agent to sign me and send me out on auditions getting me a job juggling fire on a show, and boy do I remember Sid Kellner's sons with their %$#@*( phone rooms putting the spotlight and causing serious damage to legit phone and circus operation like my beloved Bentley Bros. Circus and their Richmond, California operations under the sponsorship of the Firefighters. A wealth of knowledge in this book! Gave you a plug on Amazon Nice Work David.

Showbiz David said...

Alex, I have just read your review on Amazon, and must thank you many times over for your rousing affirmation. What a surprise! I loved writing the book, and the response of people like you (and virtually all of the reviews) it what makes all the work (and fun) so rewarding.

The 80s: Yes, you mention many reasons why I hold that great decade as being the best of times in modern American circus showmanship history. There were so many options in a variety of forms, the Pickle Family to Vargas, Ringling to Cirque to Moscow to Beatty-Cole and Big Apple. Not to mention the five ring festivals of Dory Miller’s Carson and Barnes. And, of course, others. Miguel the great flew high when big tops still could fly.

Thanks again for sharing your kind words on Amazon.

Alex Smith said...

You're welcome! It was a great read.

stage1star said...


✨Thank You, David, for writing "Roller Skating For Gold". This book is exactly what I needed today! My first Roller Skating Coach was Bobby Jones and also Eddie Oskay. They both made my first pair of Roller Skates and choreographed my first competitions at age two in Freestyle (music in the tune of "Popcorn"), figures & dance.
I continued competing in Roller Skating until I was age 22 when I knew my children had dreams of their own.
After my divorce, I returned to Roller Skating. Today at my young age of 49, I am very excited to dig back into my first love, my passion, my long-time family at the Roller Skating Rinks for so many reasons beyond measure.
💿I had the honor of producing the very first Organ Music Roller Skating Christmas CD called “ROLLERrewind Christmas Songbook” with the famous talented musician/DJ Johnny Sharp. We sold over 200 copies In November and December with the profits going to the Brunswick Ohio Skate Station Roller Skating Artistic Club.
📚 I randomly found your book at my local library. I had no idea how addicted I would become.
So addicted that I have never written to an author in my life!

Your book is a very hard, rare book to find, however I did find a few very pricey books on Amazon that I just ordered. My other option was to keep my Roller Skating library book and never give it back! Tracking down this blog page of yours was no easy feat either. I'm so glad I found you.
🥂Your book completely relit my fire and gave me so many answers to Roller Skating questions I have had for years. I have and continue to share your book with other Roller Skaters. Their reaction is “WOW! I had no idea a book was written like this!”
I could go on and on about my delightful thoughts of your book but that would be a new book with my name on it (lol) 🤗.
My longtime dream would be to build a Roller Skating Rink with my unique business plan that I wrote. Fingers Crossed. You never know what God has plans for us in this World.
You are a Gem!
💎Thank you again, David
This is just what I needed.
God Bless You & Happy New Year 2022!
Kindly with love,
Stacey Asvestas (Friges)
Ohio

Showbiz David said...

Thanks you, Stacey, for such a wonderful message! Glad you found my book, and impressed over what you are doing in roller skating, what little that seems left of it, though maybe a comeback is possible, once the in-lines are retired and the quads re-embraced, I hope. Ohio as you may know was a key state in the development and thriving of roller skating.I think Bobbie Jones came from Ohio. My most memorable pro. When my partner, Carlo and I took team dance lessons from him, at 10Pm just after the session, he often went way over the half hour mark and never charged us. His passion for the sport was a true inspiration.
Now, that you would think of stealing away my book from the library I take as a high if not quite proper honor!
Organ music. I loved skate dancing to the metronome records. Loved the dance events at competitions with four couples out on the floor at the same time. How I miss a rink nearby. When I lived in L.A. Dominic's Moonlight Rollerway still there, was a treasure trove into a fading world. The sport needs people like you to keep it alive! You can find my e-mail to the right on the blog if you wish to e-mail me directly. ROLL ON, STACEY ASVESTAS!!!