The Little Circus That Could ... Highest Rated of Them All on Yelp

The Little Circus That Could ... Highest Rated of Them All on Yelp
Currently Reigning Champion at 4-1/2 Stars, Zoppe Family Circus Wins the Crowds with Heart-Warming Tradition

Wednesday, September 30, 2020

The Morning Midway: Why I Listened to The Sound of Music Instead of Watching the Debate

I turned the TV off.  Why? To explain would be to run the risk of slipping into a dangerous minefield out there of thought police at every turn, ready to pounce over the least trace of residual insensitivity, to shame and shout you  down. And more.   Have you noticed how we have become a nation of judgmental fanatics constantly rendering critiques against other? Render the wrong word, suggest a contrary point of view, yawn too long, and  all hell make break loose.

I skipped the debate, suffice it to say, for I did not wish to witness the spectacle of one man losing his mind, another man mocking him.  I have no idea at this point how it came out.

So, I played the original cast album of The Sound of Music, in my view the best version, for it includes the complete original score, including a lovely ballad, An Ordinary Couple.  The composer, it has been said, never liked the song, and 86d it from the movie in favor of his own ditty with his own tortured lyric that defies logic, something about the two leads fessing up to possible wickedness in their childhoods.  Maria, ex bad girl?

I am watching less and less television news, having some years back junked cable news. It is one thing to be informed. Another to be hectored by the same news and the same competing views over and over all day long.  While going down to get the mail, I noticed a young woman out on the street walking her dog. So I guess I was not the only one ignoring the media's latest orgy.

Update, 11:30am. I read that TV ratings were down 36% from the first debate in 2016.  "Widely panned by most observers," reported the Hollywood Reporter.  I slept well last night.


No comments: