Friday, October 22, 2010

Sunday Morning from Santa Rosa: A Circus Surprisingly Appears


On Friday morning at the fairgrounds for other reasons, I discovered the bright inviting tent of Circo Hermanos Caballero going up, right on the empty space you see in this photo. Many years ago, that is about the exact spot where the Clyde Beatty Circus spotted its seat wagons, into which I jumped after being offered a job, to lift up the jacks and stringers and push them over the sides.

Caballero's first show would not be until 7:30, too late for me to see and get back to Oakland. Wish I'd taken my camera.

Walking across the quiet grass, I counted about a dozen trailers, and as I strolled past them, I glanced at simple scenes of domestic tranquility -- kids playing under the sun, somebody working at their PC through an open door. This was a trouper's good life.

And I could understand why so many of them, when pressed during interviews, will state simply that this is how they prefer to live. This is where they belong, where they intend to keep working despite the economic hardships and everything else that gets in the way.

Oh, what a lovely little walk through a peaceful circus backyard ...

posting date lost

No comments: