Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Defendng the Monte Carlo Circus Judges: Two Knowing Voices Check In

 Derring-do on a string: The Cassellys

A dance skating pro once told me, “You don’t have to be good to win, you just have to be the best.”

I won that way once.

These words came helpfully to mind after receiving an e-mail from Don Covington, offering his and Bill Hall’s high regard for the Rene Casselly horse riding act at the Monte Carlo Circus Festival in January. This, in reaction to my critique, At The Big Top Oscars, six posts below. The only act to take a Gold Clown, I had found it— based on the YouTube of their complete act — hardly worthy of such an honor (two big tricks botched and the use of a mechanic).

Okay, but let’s say one could argue they were the best of the pack, which, in a way, is what Don, joining Bill, advances in his persuasive reporting “No other act matched its impact.” Audience reception was overwhelming, I’ll grant you that.  

Don pointed me to a video recommended by Bill , the one which I had already seen three times. But I watched it again, just to be sure.  It does not change my thinking.  And then I watched the movie Ring of Fear, knowing that in it the Hannefords appear.  On, what a contrast.   What a perfectly sublime pleasure watching the crisp upright, agile riding of the family’s comedian.  They had the element that compels -- momentum.       

Onto another issue,  Bello Nock.  In my coverage of Gold Clowns given out over the years, I stupidly implied that Bello, one of only four recipients, was not really an American performer. Oh, really David?  “I would argue that Bello Nock is 100% American,” wrote Don.  Okay, upon googling up  Bello, there it was, and I should have known better: Born in Sarasota, and thus raised here,  which was bound to have influenced his artistic development.  As advanced  by  Don,  “His brand of comedy is unmistakably American.”

I stand impressively corrected. Thank you, Don!

END RINGERS: Wesley Williams at Monte Carlo could not even  get a bronze medal from the judges, but he landed what Europeans once considered the most honored place in the world to perform: Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey. Turns out,  in the high-flying audience at Monte Carlo was  Kenneth Fled, back in his prime scouting acts for his comeback edition, uncorking this fall.  The Feld of Felds offered the Wesley of Williams a contract.  Reads the show’s website:  “We’re SO excited to announce that world-renowned unicyclist Wesley Williams 'the One Wheel Wonder,' is joining the Greatest Show on Earth.”
 


No comments: