Sunday, November 01, 2020

Sunday Pause: Italian Circus Festival Inspires in the Face of Advesity ...

A four hour You tube of the event just came through from Don Covington, and I sat myself down to watch it. Four hours?  I took in the first two tonight, and will hit the last two tomorrow.

 

 Circus Festivals, which I have never taken in, I can see can delight you and also leave you wanting.  This one, truth be told (look the other way) contained a wild animal act with a few good items, but by far the most tediously drawn out display of mostly nothing that I have ever seen in a big cage. Presented by Prince Andre who spent most of his time moving furniture.  Next time, I'd suggest Ikea light.

There were at least three big highlights that satisfied my been-at-the-circus-too long handicap.  (Apologies to the solo contortion acts, which I skipped. Their slowness tries my patience)

This kid, Darix Bianchi, is a young star -- if only he had not foisted on us, at the end, a routine too too complex to bring off. He only proceeded, through three attempts, to do it, and failed each time. But there were parts of his deftly accomplished  repertoire that gave me perfect satisfaction. Dazzling in the way the red balls, up to 11 by my count, moved in lateral as well as vertical fountains. Marvelous!


Another neat juggling work out, this one on diablos, was turned in by ever-active Michael Zoran.  He, too, went for a big big payoff that fell apart three times in a row.  Never should have tried. Well, give the guy credit for not using a mechanic. (it's okay to laugh).

Most inspiring act I have so far seen: The Canestrelli-Togni mixed liberty horses.  Regal, quiet, majestic, its unified formations a gentle work of art.  The elderly presenter had such gifted control. I assume he is a legend. Bravo! 

Given what Italy has been through with Coroona, I was especially moved to see the Italian audience in masks.  And I liked the ringmaster's crisp non-bombastic introductions.

There is still life Over There in the world where this magic all began. Meanwhile, back here at the ranch in the states, still nobody home at Big Apple Circus website, which is taking on the aura of a shimmering tombstone.

Have a good day, and wait for the Big Show when a vaccine finally comes to town! 

And thanks, Don, for this pick-me-up.

No comments: