Sunday, April 15, 2018

Illinois -- My State Away From State: A Circular Circus Journey in Writing

Rochelle in the 1950s

Earlier this year, a few months after bequeathing  my papers and interview tapes to Maureen Brunsdale at  Illinois State University, I was struck by how significant a role three towns in the same state — Illinois – have played in my circus writing life.  Call it a late-breaking  epiphany.

Rochelle was once home to the Hohenadel Printing company, whose Walter H. Hohenadel also edited the White Tops Magazine.  It was this kind gentlemen who would accept for publication a review I sent him, at the age of 14, of Polack Bros Circus.  I have no idea what prompted me in the first place to write a review.  One of the big mysteries of my life.  Or of how Mr. Hohenadel may have decided to send my rough words to the typesetter.  Maybe a blank page was waiting for something to fill it.

That's me, around the time of my first byline

Whatever happened back there may have been ordinary.  What happened at 609 Brown Street, in Santa Rosa, CA, was extraordinary.  It  marked a monumental turning point in my young life.   Without that big break from Mr Hohenadel, I might not be writing this post, or hosting this blog.

I was published!  I was somebody, so I thought.   Best of all, the White Tops editor did not in any way edit out my picky prose, leaving in the few carps I made about certain aspects of  the show.  And by so doing, whether he intended to or not, he codified my critical inclinations, and sent me into orbit.  Nobody could stop me now. (Some, I know, would have liked to.)   Of course, I had a lot to learn, and learn I would, all the way through to my  next stop in Illinois: Champaign.

On the green at the University of Illinois

About thirty years later, having penned a biography of John Ringling North and getting turned down by many of the major publishing houses, I decided to test the University press circuit, and sent off a book proposal to the University of Illinois.  Not sure why this one.  I know I had not yet considered the state itself to be a lucky charm.  But the move turned out to be another stroke of good fortune, indeed,  even though I would suffer through the most trying editorial process I would ever face.  In the end, I had a book that drew generally wide acclaim and sold the most copies of any of my books.  Mark one for the editors of  Champaign.

Finally, the third town: While searching for an archival home  for my papers,  I chanced upon a most  passionate and welcome response from Maureen Brunsdale, archivist  at the Milnar Library at Illinois State University. Last spring, we came to terms, and I sent her a slew of boxes containing manuscripts, notes, correspondence with publishers and others, and the tapes for all the circus-related  interviews I have conducted over the years.

Rochelle.  Champaign.  Normal.  I nominate myself an honorary citizen of the good state of  Lincoln.

 Inveterate letter writer, Henry Ringling North

Since then, I was cheered to learn that the private papers of Henry Ringling North were also bound for ISU.  Charmed to know that I may be sharing shelf space with Mr. Henry, the Ringling who answered my many letters over the years and who made it possible for me to meet and interview his legendary brother, John.

Mark Schmitt and Maureen Brunsdale, perusing the Henry Ringling North Collection at the Milnar Library, ISU

Charmed also, over news of a new archival neighbor coming my way (actually, more like a Lord of the Manor):  the staggering circus collection of Herb Ueckert and Neil Cockerline.  Their 250,000 item gusher was amply noted by Smithsonian on line.  The World is taking note. Milnar is on the map

For myself, I take comfort and reassurance in knowing that my papers and tapes are in the steady and knowing hands of Maureen Brunsdalde, Steve Gossard, and Mark Schmitt 

Thank you, Maureen, for saying YES so resoundingly when I first knocked.   Like a trumpet blast on high telling me, this is the place.    You are the third lucky charm!

No comments: