Blasted by critics, strip tease host Neil Patrick Harris
I find it amusing, excuse me. Not that I don't like the show. I simply don't watch it. In fact, I don't watch any awards shows -- they all consume too much time.
Back when Bob Hope MCd (No, even I was not around when Abraham Lincoln earned his Lifetime Achievement Award), seems the thing was over in an hour or two
* Now, the night-filling affair can feel like a marathon run out in slow motion so they can stuff it with as many commercials as possible.
So if you really really like a lot of those cool ads out there, here is your dream ticket, I suppose.
Any other guesses why the lowest ratings in six years?
* Stars fawning over each other.
* Long winded acceptance speeches.
* Political rants by sainted icons.
* Too many bad movies nominated for Best Picture. Come on, Academy, force yourself to select only five of the top worst. Oops, I mean the top best. It's just that, like take last year, for example: Only two of the 9 films you nominated engaged or entertained me, and I suffered them all -- except for those I could not bear to suffer through. And if that's the best today's film makers can turn out, you are in deep trouble.
* Competition from Big Bang Theory reruns.
Still, 36 million is nothing to cry about.
Look at it this way, Oscar, you easily beat out Sound of Music -- and Hot in Cleveland.